Monday, October 10, 2011

DC & Arlington

Since I spent most of my day sight seeing with cousin Willie (I believe I misspelled it in the previous posting), I had no choice but to blast down the interstate and wind through DC to Arlington to meet up with another cousin, Alec.

Baltimore has a pretty amazing set of tunnels. Both bores are traveling the same direction, so the tunnels themselves are a lot narrower than what I'm accustomed to seeing, especially for as long as they are.












Riding through them is like blasting through a very long subway station.













Then you exit the other side and quickly hit traffic on its way into DC. Who the eff is going IN to DC at 5pm?








Thankfully, soon after I finally made it into the District I was passed by another motorcyclist who was moving in between the lanes of cars. There were no horns, no shaken fists, no epithets shouted from car windows--was it safe to lane share? Of course it's safer to be in between cars than sitting in traffic waiting to get rear ended, but were the local constabulary willing to let it pass if they saw me doing it? I let the squid on the race bike with the tucked under license plate lead the way and got across town in mere minutes, passing two cops on the way, neither of whom seemed fazed.

A delicious Ethiopian dinner, another great conversation with another relative who proves my family is full of great people, another night on an airbed (which is definitely better than sleeping on the ground) and I was off to discover the backwoods of West Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment